View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

See - another post from an official who thinks they are always right. The coaches don't have much control over the contact on the floor. If the refs pass on fouls that allow the game to get out of control, it is most assuradly their fault. Yes, the coaches can tell their teams to go out and head-hunt, or to play nice... what the players do isn't always completely up to the coach. And there are many coaches who teach dirty tactics, to gain an advantage, hoping the refs don't notice or call it.

In this case, it wasn't your fault. But to say that the officials have no responsibility for the safety of the players, and that it is the coach's fault is completely wrong. Not an opinion... that is just completely wrong.

And what opinion is that? I have a slightly different take on things, because I don't believe any official (myself included) is perfect. Some of you guys do. And that is why you're saying you refuse to accept any responsibility when players do get hurt because of a lack of game control. The coaches are certainly within their rights to complain if a number of injuries occur in a game - the refs didn't keep it under control. Or the otehr option is that it is really horribly sloppy play, and that the officials couldn't do anything about it - that is a rare case, from what I have seen. Most sloppy play doesn't lead to injuries - only hard fouls that don't get called consistently.

I would love to hear the opinion you have of me - I attempt to protect the players as a ref, and as a coach. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all.

Also - if we weren't, as officials, responsible for anything that occurs out on the floor safety-wise, as you say, then why would we need any kind of liability insurance? The coaches would, in your scenario, because they're responsible for excessive contact and fouling, regardless of what the officials choose to call.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I would say that this is a shared responsibility with the coaches and officials. Some officials just flat don't know how to get kids to knock off the rough play but they still try to. That's a great time for the coaches to help them out by controlling their own team. That is, if they really do want the game to be controlled. ?? If a coach doesn't want his kid getting hurt in a rough game that's being officiated loosly or even if it's called closely and they still kepp fouling, don't let your kids drive the lane like a wild Banche who's hoping to draw a foul, and they'll lessen their odds.

[Edited by ChrisSportsFan on Jul 6th, 2005 at 09:40 PM]