View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by bossman72
Had this happen the other day:

R2. Batter hits a grounder to F6. F6 charges and catches the ball. His momentum then takes him a couple steps towards home where he sets to throw. Just as he cocks his arm back, R2 crashes into him. R2 really didn't have much time to react. I called him out for runner's interference.

I then thought about it and have this question:

I know the fielder is protected from fielding a batted ball, but once the ball is fielded and before he throws it, does he have the same type of protection? Was my call right?

Thanks

bossman
Sounds to me like it was right. F6 was still in the process for making that play. R2 running into him prevented that so interference is the right call. Call R2 out and then call the BR out.
Ball immediately dead R2 out, runners return to base at TOP unless forced to advance award BR first. Assuming of course this is not a force play slide situation. If it is call BR out as well. If you feel a double play was prevented by the runners action (not a force play slide situation) you could call BR out as well, however, as I understand it and from what I have read and heard at various camps and clinics this is a huge leap of faith and it should generally not be
called.