View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

I would say that the majority of coaches haven't even read the rule book. If they choose to remain ignorant of the rules, there's not much we can do about it. Coaches have to want the knowledge, it is not going to come to them. Anyone with a bit of motivation can find all the material they need to start understanding the rules.

A simple internet search on "baseball rules" or "rules of baseball" will get coaches to some very helpful sites. The J/R manual is among them.

If a coach asked me about the rules, I'd be happy to point them in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
A coach can learn these things the same way we do, obtain all the supporting material. That could include; Casebooks, J/R manual, the BRD, PBUC manual, MLB umpires manual, get a copy of the JEA (if you can, tell me how), etc.

If coaches don't want to buy and study the above, then they should just convince the players union to allow the rules to be re-written, updated and corrected. That is the excuse I've been given as to why it hasn't been done.

You're not getting it.

The coaches don't even know those resources even exist.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates