Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
It doesn't bother me and I'd never give a T in this instance. I've heard boys games where they yell "tight, tight, tight" instead. They are just communicating to their teammates that the dribbler has lost the dribble and if everyone tightens up, they might get a 5-second call. I don't know why that would be considered unsportsmanlike.

Z
Well, i'm not referring to the ones where the player is communicating simple information for their teammates. I'm referring to screaming that in the offensive player's face from 2-3 inches away, to the point that there are little flecks of spit coming off and possibly even hitting the offensive player, and the yelling can be heard a long distance away - well beyond the distance of their teammates. It isn't in the interest of passing information, or that is just a secondary benefit - they're trying to intimidate the offensive player by screaming in their face. If it is just communication, i have no problem with it whatsoever.
This IS communication. That is why they do it. It continuously informs their teammates about the location of the ball and the fact that you've got it covered. You may not like it but there is nothing illegal about it.

If your going to call that, you might as well call a T whenever any opponent says a word that migth annoy or distract the other team.

Like lotto said, this is not Golf.
2 things...

1) Never having seen anyone call something doesn't mean that it isn't a legitimate call. Taken the other way, I have seen a number of refs call over the back, and even signal it at a varsity game (some kind of batman signal). Just because a call is made, doesn't mean it is right... just because a call doesn't get made, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I've worked with a number of officials who absolutely refuse to call certain things... even though the rule says you have to.

2) If the team isn't aware of where the ball is by looking, something's wrong. Another case would be the person inbounding the ball, with a player screaming in their face (and a case where the 3 foot rule doesn't apply, such as having a long way they could back up). Everyone knows where the ball is and who's covering it - is this communication?

And seriously, in the example as I put it above, you don't think there is an issue of intimidation involved?