View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Great Topic

This is a great topic!

I think what makes an experience official is one knowing the game. I think having played the game at a high level really helps you understand the game and how it is supposed to be played.

Yes some people have the gift they go on the court and it just like they are playing with them. They can feel the flow of the game. They can sense if this game is going to be a running game, or a rough one.

Some people think that knowing all the rules makes you a great official, I totally disagree. This game is so much more than just the rules, this game is abt passion, knowing what to call and knowing when not to call it.

I agree with the person who originated this topic abt the official that have been doing this for 20+ years, there are officials that have been doing this for over 20+ years and are still messing the game up. But there are some that are still great.

My opinion I wish they would go back to a two man crew for a couple of years just to get rid of all the older crew. The three man crew has kept them around too long. I know that is wishfull thinking but it would be nice.

I think being experienced is also how the players accept and respond to you. And how you accept and respond to them. Are you able to talk to them or do you just tell them to do this and do that.

I know when I am the lead, I try my best to never call a 3 sec call because I am constantly talking to the players. Now i have been to some camps and they say, dont do that call the call. But as a player, if the official can talk me out before why slow down the game for that.

Also I think that an experienced official is an official that can give advice to the younger official in a way that they would understand, instead of just letting them sink or swim. I think the older officials are afraid to help the younger ones because they are afraid they will take there jobs from them. I know when I work with a new guy either in a varsity game, a summer league game, or anything I am always talkign to my partner, catching his eye to try and see what he is looking at so i make sure he is not looking at the same.

Every game is a learning experience, you never know what is going to happen, especially if you are working with someone new.

JUST A LITTLE FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!!

[Edited by Love this Game on Jun 29th, 2005 at 02:55 PM]

15 Year OHSAA BASKETBALL OFFICIAL
10 Year NSA Umpire