View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to regas14 Send a message via Yahoo to regas14
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
Originally posted by regas14

My interpretation is that spotting the ball is the end of the preceeding play not the beginning of the succeeding play, therefore in the case listed, the error occurs during 3rd down. As soon as the ball is made live for 4th down, this error becomes uncorrectable.

REPLY: Not really true...when the ball is placed and blown ready-for-play for the fourth down, it's still a dead ball. It doesn't become live until it's snapped. As a rookie you'll learn a lot this season. Look at the definitions of live ball and dead ball in Rule 2 (NF 2-1-1 and 2-1-2). Blowing the ball RFP doesn't make it live.
Thanks Bob, but I think we're saying the same thing. My choice of words may not have been clear, but what I'm trying to say is that placing the ball is done at the end of 3rd down, not the beginning of 4th down. Therefore once the ball is snapped (made live) for 4th down, that error which was made during 3rd down cannot be corrected. If the error is detected before the ball is made live for 4th down it can be corrected. Is that correct? My thinking is that any error made after the ball is snapped for 3rd down may only be corrected until the ball is snapped for 4th down, correct?

I hope I'm right because I already been berated in the Basketball forum today. If I'm wrong still I'd appreciate the correction.