View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Now, when working rec level games, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. For example, as BU, I stopped a game, brought the defensive coach to the circle and explained to coach & pitcher why such & such was an illegal pitch and that for now, we were going to just fix it. Those games are pretty much like JV games - usually having players, coaches, and umpires there to learn.
Don't forget us guys/gals who are here to learn, either. There's a big difference between local P&R games & tournament level games. The difference between "coaching" and not can be as simple as providing the information from behind the plate for a PU: this is different than "don't". Thanks, Steve ... yours was one of the clearer posts in this thread.

I appreciate all these remarks, I really do. Just don't confuse us rookies, ok? Remember us

Personally, as PU, I feel like I'm giving the out counts far too often ... as in once each batter change. That's probably pushing the bounds into coaching, so I'm working on reducing that frequency. In local P&R games, nobody seems to object ... it just feels wrong, so it probably is.

Ya know, I can read the rule book all day, and I can know what it says inside and out. Until I get a chance to apply this to real life, it's all trivia. The stuff for which there are no rules -- like "don't coach" -- is much harder to learn. Clinics help, but they're sometimes more opinion and "what works for the clinician". All tips help. I love them. Thanks!