Thread: "Play"
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
I'm talking about officials saying this on every throw-in in the front court. I agree that after a break (like the ones you cited) we should make the players aware that we're bout to start again, that is why I blow my whistle and then hand the ball away.
In NCAA-W, the mechanic is for the L to blow their whistle before a throw-in in the front court. And, as mentioned, it is a Fed. mechanic to blow the whistle after a delay of some sort before any throw-in. As far as saying something before every throw-in, I've been told to not draw attention to yourself by doing those types of things, such as saying something before every throw-in, and going "tweet, tweet, tweet" with the whistle instead of one, authoritative blast. (I was told that by some rockin' robin...apologies to the younger crowd...) It just appears, for lack of a better way of putting it, less professional, especially in the higher levels. If other officials in your area aren't doing it, then it does draw a little unnecessary attention to yourself because you're doing it differently. Of course, if it is standard in your area, by all means do it. I would think it's also acceptable at lower levels, because you almost as much a teacher as a referee. But I've found as I go to camps, these are the little, seemingly unnecessary habits that I had picked up over time and had to "unlearn" to make me look more professional overall.

(Used with permission.)