Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
IIf that coach has experience up to D1 then he must realize JV officials generally work JV for a reason. Same reason, generally, that JV players play JV. As a "big time coach" he should have not lowered himself to fan status & should have just kept his damn comments to himself & worried about his own game which was to follow.

As for the official getting his schedule yanked - he's better off not having to work JV games for that assignor.
Danref,

First of all this is not a friend of mine, merely an example of an official that might have done better trying to find a different approach to dealing with a difficult situation.

As far as JV officials being JV officials for a reason, I do not disagree, but that doesn't give them license to misapply rules. It is hard for assignors to defend officials that misapply rules, they can defend judgment and hustle.
Nothing you said here excuses what you claim is a big time coach from sitting in the stands acting like a jerk. A varsity HS coach has nothing in common with the nameless and faceless fans in the stands.

And I never said schedules aren't pulled. All I said was this official is better off not working JV games for that assignor who caves in under pressure from Mr Big Time Varsity Coach. If the success of his JV squad is so important to him maybe Mr Big Time Varsity Coach should sit on the bench and act as the JV assistant. Instead of yelling at the JV officials from the stands.
Dan, in theory, I agree with everything you said. The reality is that this particular coach is one of the best in the country, and really carries weight around here. Usually, he's just a great guy, and he doesn't throw his weight around, as you might think from icallfoul's posts. The ref, on the other hand, is one of the worst in the country, and that's after 6 or 7 years of constantly getting put back into the classes again, and getting his schedule yanked and so on and so forth. There was little sympathy around here for that particular ref when this happened. In the situation which icallfouls described (which was in the newspaper the next morning), the coach may have been yelling, but I doubt he was over the top. He just doesn't go there. The ref over-reacted, as he has done often enough before, and then mis-applied the rules, and then did all those things in the JV game before one of the biggest games of the season. The ref made the coach go out onto the sidewalk, wouldn't even let him go to his own office, and the coach had to borrow a cell phone to call Howard. I expect there's not one person in the Portland Metropolitan Area who knows both the ref and the coach, and would side with the ref. He just plain blew it.