View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

legal/illegal is irrelevant too.

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Imagine this, a pitch that is a little "short" and off to the side of the plate, that little area in "fair" territory. Do you always call that a strike, even if it never crossed the plate?
No, not if it didn't cross some part of the plate. No one has given any indication that it should be a strike or that they call it a strike. Just as legal/illegal pitch, ball/strike is irrelevant to the discussion.

Quote:
Same thing for allowing the steal. My UIC got on my case over that last year when we allowed stealing in one of the men's leagues here.
Nothing I can do about your UIC except suggest s/he review 8.4.G.2 and POE #50.

I can tell you that when the stealing was first introduced in SP at the Major and Super level, the back corners were used, but that hasn't been for a few years now.

An illegal pitch is still live for the purpose of stealing. The only time you can't steal is if the ball never crossed the front edge of the plate (i.e. is short), hits the plate or the batter. If the ball never clears 6 ft or is higher than 12 ft, the pitch is illegal but the runners can advance once it crosses the front edge of the plate as long as it doesn't hit the plate or the batter.