View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Just as I began to brag on the umpires in the Series on calling slapper out for bunting, they go and do just the opposite tonight...

Enough is Enough..... What slappers are doing in today's game is what I call a "cheating bunt." In this case slappers should never be called out for bunting....UCLA rallied in the 6th on this very call tonight, with two strikes the slapper bunted at the ball and hit it foul...(ruled a foul ball) and next pitch she bunted again for a hit...Could have been the difference in the game...

Most umpires will say "if the bat is moving through the zone then it is a slap" of "if the wrist breaks it is a slap". Bull.. All running slapper are moving the bat through the zone, even if the bat is stationary.

Watch UCLA batters close..This is what they do...They give the impression that it is a swing...
The batter will be in a normal stands and choked up on the bat slightly..As she crosses over she will then drop the bat down the hands a couple more inches and then take a half swing until the bat is in the strike zone. At this time she will stop the swing and drag the bat through the zone while still running out of the box...(very very very similar to what a right handed batter would do if they were drag bunting)...

Rule needs to be changed...to this...
1) For it to be called a slap, the bat or swing must continue on through the ball after contact or after a miss...

If not we will continue to see umpires call this poorly..
Slappers and coaches have found a way to beat the system.
If not changed soon, we will continue to see more and more of what I call the "cheating bunt"...

What does everyone else think????