Thread: Fighting
View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

a little nitpicky, but hopefully helpful

Chuck,
I agree that YOU are correct on #1. TWO team fouls against and ONE indirect to the head coach of Team A and only TWO FTs for Team B, plus ball at division line.

However, (and I only point this out in an attempt to help your instruction duties) in #2 please use "offender" rather than "participant" in your reasoning for the techincal fouls because the question does not say that either Coach B or B6 actually participate in the fight, merely that they enter the court.
This may be a small distinction, but the Summary of Penalties for All Fouls on pages 67 and 68 does it that way. I'm refering to the grouping of 8b (1) and (2).
Since you are going to be using these for teaching purposes, I thought that you would want to be as precise as possible for your student officials.

It also seems to me that part 8b of that summary doesn't really address the coaches. Although, it does mention "Bench personnel," which we know includes the coaches by 4-34-2, it specifies, "all players leaving [the] bench" in part (1) and "for each bench player participating in the fight" in part (2). This seems to be important because it would be very difficult to justify the FOUR FTs using only 8b(1). One could very easily conclude that only TWO FTs are warranted using what it says there. This could definitely lead to confusion for newer officials.

So while I have to say that this section is helpful in clarifying how to assess the penalties when dealing with different numbers of people leaving the bench, it is not well-written. I object greatly to the use of the term "bench player" therein. That term simply doesn't exist within NFHS rules. (Players [the five who are legally on the court], team members, and bench personnel are the only proper terms.) Also, it seems to forget about the coaches. I would like to see the NFHS reword this passage.

Therefore, I recommend also pointing your newer officials to 10-4-2 and its penalty section along with 10-5-2 and the accompanying penalty section. (Plus the chart on page 73 has both a Bench Personnel square and a Head coach box.)

These clearly state that it is illegal for the coaches, managers, and other members of bench personnel (such as statisticians or trainers) to enter the court during an altercation or fight and fully justify the additional two FTs in that are awarded in question #2 resulting in a total of FOUR FTs for Team A.