View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Macaroo
Unless the defender is able to grasp the ball cleanly (ball only) and prevent release (held ball), you will likely have a (holding) foul. Reaching for and grasping the ball with the hand and/or arm over or across the ball holder's wrist/arm, is a hold. These fouls are NOT held balls, and need to be called quickly and more often to reduce rough play. With experience, I have learned to recognize and call this "grabbing at the ball" before the elbows fly.
I know what you're saying, but it's not as automatic as you're making it sound. We all know those situations where preventative officiating is needed - but just because a player has secured a ball does not mean defensive players cannot attempt to go after it, too.

As I stated earlier, most times defenders cannot get to the ball without hacking/holding/pushing. But there are times when they can - and sometimes it may appear to the coach/spectator like a foul - but isn't.

I like Rocky's answer - there's gotta be enough contact to disrupt - not just contact. With experience, you learn to differentiate the two.

Yes, you want to prevent the "elbows flying" - but a player also can't just start swinging elbows whenever an opponent goes after the ball, either.