View Single Post
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Little Jimmy
I was reading another board that some of you frequent and read something that confused me.

[quote]

What? We don't have enough OBS questions here?

Quote:
I got the idea that some of you would not call obstruction in the following play. Runner coming home. Catcher drops to block homeplate(without ball). Runner DOESN'T alter path. She simply slides into catcher who stops her progress to the plate. JUST BEFORE CONTACT, catcher gets possession of ball, then contact occurs, then tag is put down.

So catcher is in the path of the runner. I'm not sure if runner has slowed down a little or not. All I know is as runner goes into her slide and catcher is blocking her way I'm thinking I've got obstruction, giving any benefit of the doubt to the runner. The fact that the catcher catches the ball a fraction of a second before contact seems to go against the recent emphasis.
As noted, this is a judgment call, but isn't it amazing how little bits have been noted or assumed.

[b][quote]
Question: Given the circumstances first stated, would you call obstruction?

Answer: If you judge the runner to had not slowed or change her path, it is nothing.