View Single Post
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Quote:
My question is why dump the coaches after the game was over. ... Get in, get out, get done.
The ejection after the game came within 15 seconds of the final out. I called the out at second base from the area behind the mound (I was by myself so I had hustled out there) and had taken 4-5 steps toward the gate when he shouted across the field. Absolutely no way I'm going to let an adult teach kids that those actions were acceptable. So I tossed him. An after-the-fact suspension by league officials wasn't going to demonstrate to them that these guys were wrong. And yes, there's a mandatory one game suspension following an ejection and the coaches will likely see further penalties as well.

Quote:
And who are you worrying about when it comes to explaining why you dumped him? The crowd?
I'm worried about game management. Tensions are already high, tossing the coach who's behind by 6 runs for a reason that's apparent to only he and I would cause an uproar from the crowd and the bench and is only going to increase tensions further.

I like the idea of a quiet ejection. The coach is sticking it too me quietly so no one else can hear, so I send him packing in exactly the same way. That's the type of advice I needed. I already knew the coach should have been tossed earlier, I just didn't have the right method with which to do it.