Thread: Verbal INT??
View Single Post
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Well there has certainly been some interesting responses on this one.

I was un-swayed by the decision as rendered on the field Saturday, I didn't then nor now see any justification for the call as made. The arguement of "in fairness" was brought up, but as CecilOne pointed out, this didn't slow the defense from making the play. Coachfanmom also pointed out the D3K instance where her girls are taught to follow the base coaches instruction. I have seen many plays (as I'm sure we all have) where a dead ball is called andplay doesn't cease, or IF is called but nobody seems to hear it. As Mike notes unless a fan physically hinders play, I can not justify trying to rectify a mis-cue by a player. If I as an umpire have to ignore comments from the stands, and do ignore them, shouldn't the players also?

What really got me to wondering about this was not was the right call made (it wasn't), but who made it. This one was called by our area UIC, and supported by the tornament UIC and tournament director! I suppose even in the heat of battle even the boss can get one wrong!