Old Sat May 21, 2005, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Re: Re: Well,

Quote:
Originally posted by ChapJim
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
In my area I seldom work with a partner more than once or twice a season. That is the way my association assigns.

The point of "knowing your partner" is a red herring.
Perhaps for you it is. But, I would think that with unfamiliar partners, the tendency would be to communicate/signal more, not less.

I have several partners with whom I often work 10 or more games per year. Pre-games and expectations are not the same as they are for people I've never seen, whose names I don't recognize.

Plus, with some partners it doesn't matter what is signalled. They won't do it anyway! That's nice to know.
I gotta agree. I have worked with a couple guys a number of times and don't give it or most other signals for that matter.. If I work with a guy I am not familiar with I feel like a 3B coach with the signals sometimes. Bout the time you don't signal you'll get caught with "your pants down" because your uninformed partner didn't do his job.

As far as the partner signalling or saying out load enough, I never relie on that. I get into an angle to see the runner score and the last out as best as possible, much like a tag up on a fly out. If my partner is using good timing he will be calling out a good couple seconds after the out, thus throwing the timing off. I prefer to see the out and touch of the plate myself instead of guessing if my partner yelled out immediately, 2 seconds after the out, 5 seconds after the out or whenever. And you cannot figure, well he calls out 2 seconds after the tag. Well maybe something happened and he has to wait a couple seconds more to call out. Not good. Get an angle.

[Edited by cowbyfan1 on May 23rd, 2005 at 12:37 AM]

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.