View Single Post
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hensley
Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
I can care less what hell poll you guys are taking here and even care less than that, what side I'm on. I will repeat what I said before though, if a player's injury, (IN MY OPINION), is serious enough to kill the play, I WILL DO IT EVERY TIME.

Rut, if thats what you did and felt it was right for you then it was the right call. A cather that takes a ball to the throat could, or could not be a serious injury. And if there are officials out there that treat the game as being more important than the health of the players, especially at the HS level, then your not worth the weight of your ball bags.

Your opinion is duly noted. What justifies the insult ("not worth the weight of your ball bags") to those who see the issue differently?
Actually been busy at work today.

My insult was aimed to those that so non-chalantly disregard the importance of a serious injury, to the importance of letting the play finish.

I did not indentify anyone, but several have stated that a couple of seconds here or there, just wasn't that important. Important to whom , them.

I have seen situations where seconds were important. Skate to the throat, batter somehow turns his leg in the box to the point the the lower leg breaks and protudes through the skin. Play was killed immediately. No concern of what was happening in the game. On the other hand there were times, as stated previously, where play was allowed to continue.

I realize, a good official has to ride the fine line of being overly arrogant, confident and in control, yet approachable and sometimes even personable. We are also open to critizism for everything we do while officiating contests. But to me, it shows unjustified arrogance, and a lack of respect, to the players and families, when this is allowed to happen.

Your right this is my opinion and if it comes across as an insult to some, well then, mabey I'm just being overly-arrogant, what can I say.