Thread: whats the all?
View Single Post
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 06:37am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by xxssmen
Player A1 is underneath the backboard and has to jump back into the defender for a shot but before doing so A1 fake the shot and gets B1 to jump, A1 than jumps back to B1 and try to attempt a shot but could not because the contact made by A1 caused A1 to fall down. So what would you call here?

A) Player control foul
B) No call
C) Foul on B1
Excellent situation.

Quote:
Now I was told by some veteran officials here that I could of called A, B or C. But better of calling C because that way I won’t have to hear it from A1 and his/her coach
This should never be a reason to call or not call a foul or violation.

Quote:
and where contact was made by B1, most chances B1 will not argue that call since contact was made even though A1 initiated the contact.
Two things that are important here are:
  • who initiated the contact

• who stayed within their cylinder, thereby respecting the principle of verticality

• If a player has stayed within their cylinder, they cannot be called for a foul because they have not violated the principle of verticality. If a player does not adhere to the principle of verticality, they could be guilty of a foul.

If the contact is slight, you could ignore it either way. For a PC foul to occur, the same principles apply. Did the offensive player make contact to create room for him/her to shoot/pass/dribble, where otherwise they would not have room to shoot/pass/dribble? For a defensive foul to occur, the defender must not have jumped straight up, and initiated the contact on the shooter.

Quote:
    But also was told that if that scenario was to happen above the 3 point line that I should call for a player control foul since its clear who initiated the contact as where the other one underneath the basket was in a crowd an the only person who really can see it is the official.
    Cow patties. The same call should be made no matter where it happens on the court. The only other option is a no-call. But certainly not a foul on the other team.

Quote:
    I noticed a lot of players fake their opponent in the air than jumps into them to get a call an a lot do get the call, I even seen it in The NBA and NCAA and officials is giving the offensive player the calls.
    I've seen these plays too, and most often on the replay, sometimes from two angles, you can see that the defender violated the principle of verticality. Easy call: foul by B.