Thread: Did I Do Right?
View Single Post
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Everyone is making fine points here, that's why I brought this sitch here first. I have found that the level of expertise and experience at this site is first-class.

By the way, please don't think I'm just being argumentative by appearing to disregard your responses. When I post a question to this site I'm usually looking for answers that prompt me to defend my position. If I can, then I will; if not, I say thanks for setting me straight. With that in mind...

mbyron--

I appreciate your reply. However, as a matter of fact, only those persons east of the 3B foul-line(e.g., me) had obstructed views; those west of the line(e.g., PU, 3B coach, defensive dugout) could see the play clearly.

What is an umpire's "call" if not his "informed judgement?" Let's say Ol' Smitty is working the bases in my sitch. The play develops and he is busy behind the mound adjusting his indi-clicker, head down on his chest. Oblivious to this point, he looks up when he hears the commotion at 3B. He cannot possibly make a "call." At best he will make a guess. And when he does guess, correctly or not, his ability to umpire will be in doubt. As wards of the game, we most definitely cannot let our "calls" become "guesses." Rather, they must always be "informed judgements."

We, as umpires, know this almost instinctively. That's why we study the rules of the game, attend clinics, and develop systems of mechanics so that the best possible information is available to an umpire every play. You might think that in this unique instance our methods were lacking. Not so. I saw where my partner had placed himself(mechanics) so that his view of the play was unobstructed. I availed myself of his information, and then made my call(informed judgement).

One more point: you said that it's just one call in one game in one season. That's true. But it's important to remember that every pitch, every play, every game means something to someone. In a 10U game, one may take the position Hey, they're just kids playing, it doesn't matter who wins or loses. While this sentiment may be true from the blue's perspective, try telling that to those kids. As it turns out, this game, even though it was JV, had been designated a conference game, meaningful in the standings, and giving the opportunity to those players to contribute to their schools. I have never seen a game played with more intensity than this one. The quality of play was lacking, but I could see the pride in those kids' faces.

tmp44--

Your example is not quite the same. Whereas you first saw the ball foul, I never saw the ball at all. In your sitch you used what information was available and made a call; same with me, it's just that I had to pry what information was available out of my partner.

orioles35--

Same as above. You said that you saw the ball beat R2 to the bag, you saw F5 apply the tag, you saw that R2 was still sliding. You made a call using the available information. I saw nothing, no ball, no glove, no R3 torso/arm.

Later in my game, R2 stealing. F5 covers, F2 makes a beauty of a throw. Again that dust cloud rises. But I had learned from the previous play, and hustled my butt to where I was above the cloud and could see the play at 3B develop. Although close, easy call: R2 out.

From your userid I take it that you're an O's fan. How's Sosa working out for you?