View Single Post
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

I had an aau game yesterday and this happened, but disregard that and say it was a rivalry game during the season or a championship game in the district, region, etc.

Team A has made a great comeback, and the game is tied with Team A in control of the ball and about 15 seconds left. A1 drives to the hole and scores with about 3 seconds left. B1 goes and quickly tries to inbound the ball. In an attempt to chuck it down the floor he steps forward with his foot and stepped on the line. Not a little bit but about 1/3 of his size 12. So of course I call it and give A the ball back with 1.5 left. A tosses the ball up, it gets touched game over.

I was told after the game that you do not make that call to end the game. He said you let that go because after the game the coach who lost is checking you off and you are not working one of his games again. I agree with the point my superior made about me probably being the only one who saw it so let it go.

It is hard for me to swallow this. I started officiating because I hated the job alot of officials were doing in the assosciation that was allocated to my high school's district. I wanted to up the integrity of the game that I felt the officials in this certain assosciation were not upholding.

I never understood what alot of people meant when they said there was alot of politics involved. I thought they just meant you kissed the bosses #ss real well and got better gigs, but apparently it also means not taking the ball out of the other teams hands with seconds left no matter if they commit an obvious violation.

Please someone help me feel better about me needing to swallow my whistle?