View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 10:13pm
Veteran College Umpire

So the answer is....? He's out if he's tagged - duh. He's out if the catcher touches the plate and appeals the missed base IF the runner is not trying to return. As to there "not being a basepath..", IMHO there IS a basepath - it's the direct line from where he is to where he's going (much like a batter heading for the dugout on a dropped third strike, only to realize it WAS a dropped third strike, so he takes off for first from wherever he is, thus creating his basepath - so a basepath doesn't have to be between two bases....or does it?). The fact that the runner retreated a step means he's no longer trying to return to the missed base (or does it?), so that gives the catcher the appeal option he wouldn't have if the runner WAS trying to return. I feel like a dog chasing my tail...
BUT - can the runner try to return to the missed base, retreat a step to avoid a tag (staying in that direct line betweeen where he is and where he's going), then try again to return to the missed base if the catcher stops trying to tag him (for instance, if the catcher looks at the other runners to check their positions) before the catcher steps on the plate with the appeal? Curiouser and curiouser...

BTW, I called the runner out because the catcher finally did tag him , not because he retreated to avoid that tag.
Isn't baseball a great game?