View Single Post
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 10:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by brainbrian
Quote:
Originally posted by deecee
there are 8 girls around her boxing out trying to get at the ball but no real hard contact -- this has now got all the signs of a train wrek and my partner is about 3 feet away and im about 10 feet away -- i didnt close in because my partner had the play clearly
If you have 10 people all corraled in a little circle I wouldn't see why you wouldn't move in. Basically you're leaving your partner to monitor 10 people why you sit 10 feet away. And how do you expect to call a jump ball from 10 feet away between two people at the bottom of a pile that your partner is three feet away from. I would have at least moved in before calling my jump ball.

Disagree completely. There's no reason in the world for you to be that close, even if it was in your primary to begin with.

Who's gonna get anything else that now may happen- even a few feet away from the girl on the floor? Answer: Nobody- because neither of you will be able to really see anything if you're both that close.

Leave the call to the official that's 3 feet away and keep an eye on what else might be going on around the play. You're better off keeping a wide view on the play. Getting too close to a play like this can block you off just as bad as being too far away.

Btw, I'm with Camron. Don't call a jump ball until it actually is a jump ball. Don't penalize the player with the ball by not allowing her to legally pass the ball, call a TO, etc. There's no reason in the world to blow a whistle on this play until something- foul,violation, TO request- actually happens. If a defender just wants to jump on her, call the foul. That's the right call- and the proper call. You don't allow illegal contact by the defender when they're going for the ball. We had a POE from the FED a few years ago saying exactly the same thing.

The answer to the original question of this thread is "call what happens".