View Single Post
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

OK this happened to me about 2 weekends ago -- girls jv/varsity tourney im the trail...

offense has the ball about 5-8 feet off the block in my primary -- defense strips the ball and the offensive player falls to the ground -- lucky for her the ball bounces right back into her lap -- she is sitting there on the floor with the ball and her defender was just reaching in a bit to get the ball (no foul and it was more like a peck here or there) in abot 2-3 seconds now there are 8 girls around her kinds boxing out trying to get at the ball but no real hard contact -- this has now got all the signs of a train wrek and my partner is about 3 feet away and im about 10 feet away -- i didnt close in because my partner had the play clearly so i let her take my primary there -- so to derail the impending trains i blow the whistle and call a jump ball as a defender was right over her and about to pounce. Let me be clear there was NO jump ball but I felt it was the best solution for the impending pileup in an already physical game. No coach or player argued or said a word as i blew a hard whistle closed out and pointed at the 2 who were supposedly involved.

My partner thought that was a bad move...I usually dont anticipate calls but to not blow this play dead where it stood would have been inviting potential disaster. good or bad move on my part -- should i have let it play out?