View Single Post
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 04:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
In the era of "getting it right," can I make this call?

FED varsity. Top of the 5th, Visiting Team down 4-3. They have an R2 with 0 outs. B1 lays down a bunt down the 1st base line that is fairly close to the line. I'm PU and come out of the box quickly for a potential very close fair/foul call. F1 fields the ball in fair territory and tags BR. From the angle I had by coming up the line to make the fair/foul call, F1 made a successful tag, and I immeidately called BR out on the tag. Visiting HC argued the call with me, although he eventually accepted my explanation.

Looking back I realize that I probably "stepped on the toes" of my partner. Making the tag call was basically a reaction 1) seeing the tag occur and 2) knowing that I had a better angle and closer distance than my partner in the C. Should I still have not made any call though? Or can the PU make the call in this situation?
I'm coming across and getting an angle on that and then my plate umpire partner makes a call that doesn't belong to him? Of course I'm going to be annoyed. What Bob said -- up to the running lane, yours. After the running lane, mine.

Stop thinking you can't call this starting in C. By the time the call is made, the base umpire should be nowhere near the C position.