View Single Post
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Baseball is much different than any other sport. That's what makes it so great. I have no problem with coaches asking questions or expressing themeselves when they don't agree with my calls. I have been fortunate in that I usually don't get much from coaches, players, or fans. I think it not only has to do with my ability as an umpire, but also the additude I take into and throughout the game. I umpire because I enjoy baseball. I am to old to play, so I am involved as an umpire. I actually have fun doing the games. Well most of the time. I also try to be as invisible as possible. Some umpires think everyone is at the games to see them instead of the players. I bring a mind set to the games to hustle my butt off and give the two teams the best I have to offer. If the catchers are doing a good job, I hustle back to the backstop to chase the foul backs after giving a new ball to the catcher. I run back to my position immediately after calling a close play not giving the player or coach an opportunity to say something they shouldn't. If they do say something, I usually don't hear it because I am back where I belong. I don't hang arround and invite an argument. When I hear something from a fan, I just either pretend not to hear it or just give them a little smile. Fans can say anything they want, I couldn't care less. Some umpires are so obssessed with projecting their authority that they make themselves the focus of the game. Don't get me wrong, I will not take any crap from any player or coach, I have my share of ejections. I am not afraid to run anyone but it is usually for throwing equipment or malicious contact, not for arguing with me. I actually tell the coaches at the pregame conf. that if they do have a question, wait for the play to end then request time... I will be happy to answer any question they may have. I have found that when a coach hears that, they are going to approach me with respect because they know I respect them. In my opinion, if most umpires take this additude into games, with somewhat above average umpiring skills, they should have few problems with arguments. Baseball is different and that is why we love it so much. Just to prove how different it is... Baseball is the only sport I can think of that when on defense, you hold the ball. Think about that one!