View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 05:03am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation I know I'm feeble, but....

Brad, can I say that I wholeheartedly agree. Referees are there to enforce the rules of basketball, but also to make sure that the players (and spectators) enjoy the game. If explaining a rule to a player can be done in a split second, then surely it is the professional thing to do.

Mark, IMHO your partner has done a great disservice to all referees, and someone needs to have a serious chat to him about his (or her) game management technique. A referees' coach that I once had said to me that "before doing or saying anything, always consider if it will make the situation better or worse. If the answer is worse, then there must be a better option." I have found that this adage works in basically every situation I have some up against. Clearly in this case, the referee's comments would only ever make the situation worse. In fact, you can hardly blame the player for getting a bit hot under the collar, the referee grossly inflamed the situation.

Having said all of that, I am only a FEEBLE referee, and from Australia to boot....so really, what do I know?

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee