View Single Post
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
In order to be a bunt ATTEMPT, the batter has to OFFER at the pitch. The holding of the bat, and not moving it, is NOT considered OFFERING.

If the bat was held still, and the pitch was out of the strike zone, would you call the pitch a strike? No? Then why say it's an attempt if there was no movement of the bat, and the pitch hit the bat.

Bob
The ASA POE #9 provides a bit more editorial intent; it states "On a bunt attempt where the batter puts the bat across the plate, unless the batter moves the bat toward the ball, a strike would not be called if the ball is out of the strike zone." This jives more with the training I am sure I heard and what I believed to be the intent of the rule. It seems to me that putting the bat in the one place where it can hit the ball HAS TO BE AN ATTEMPT! We are splitting nits if we look solely at no further movement; no movement is needed if the batter put the bat in the right place to begin with! This ruling is for when the ball is somewhere else, and the batter doesn't follow it, it isn't an attempt. When the ball is right there, it is obviously (at least to me) an attempt.