View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 28, 2001, 01:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Re: Re: Not surprised at all.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

And whether you like it or not, coaches are the ones that are calling for that.
Rut, I could care less what coaches want. What's difficult to understand is why they want a certain race or sex on the floor. If it's me, I want the best official on the floor, without regard to sex, race, creed, religion, handicap, or anything else.

Put the person available on the floor.
That might be fine and dandy, but the coaches are the ones that complain to the assignors. So whether you like it or not, coaches always have a say to some extent. Maybe they will not get exactly what they want, but they sure do talk to the assignors and have some influence. And if the assignors want to have some credibility, they have to take heed to some suggestions. And if Black teams are thinking they are getting screwed by white officials, you take that argument away when you hire more Black officials for their games. And believe me, in my state there are coaches white and Black of all-Black teams that believe this is the case.

You might talk about putting the best official on the court, but this is no different than appearance of an official. A fat guy might be the best official around, but he or she will be judged on their size no matter what. So what do assignors do, hire officials that have a slimmer look. Now who do you think complains about fat officials the most? Well, it is not the assignors.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Jul 28th, 2001 at 01:37 AM]