View Single Post
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stair-Climber
Would like answers for National Federation and ASA.

Rule Question: B/R hits to outfield. B/R rounds first and stops several feet from 1B and stays there with hands on knees and facing pitcher in circle. Ball comes into pitcher (in circle) from outfield. As soon as pitcher receives ball in circle, pitcher quickly turns toward B/R and just stares at her (she neither throws to F3 nor threatens a throw--just stares at B/R). B/R doesn't move, trying to get pitcher to play on her. Has B/R violated look-back rule or is pitcher playing on B/R by turning toward her and staring her down?

both fed and asa:

Were talking seconds here.. I would consider the quick turn a play.. then the clock is again ticking for the runner to decide what to do assuming the pitcher does nothing else.

Quote:
Originally posted by Stair-Climber
Mechanics Question: On a missed swipe tag, no call should be made indicating there is no out--correct? In other words, on a missed swipe tag, umpire should not signal save (the no call means that the tag was missed and not out) and should only make an out call if tag is made--correct? Or when swipe tag is missed and runner makes it to base, then should a safe call be made?
I call safe on all safes..

but that brings up an interesting question..

A few nites ago in a 14U rec league game I'm PU alone - R1 at B1 - grounder to F4 she swipes at R1 and misses, then quick throw to 1b to retire BR. I signaled safe then turned and probably an half hearted out since it was so obvious.

For some reason the coach only saw the safe and said the runner at 1b was safe cuz i signalled safe. The BR was out by a mile but it still caused trouble with some in the crowd saying that I changed my call to which I eventually faked like I ejected the whole crowd for trying to get an easy out at 1B call over turned.. which got a laugh.

But could have been diff, say a hostile Varsity crowd..