View Single Post
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Not to whip a dead horse,

If a batter swings and misses the 3rd strike, I signal a strike/out by a closed fist. No need to say anything, everyone knows he's out. If a batter swings and misses the 3rd strike and the catcher drops the ball (and the batter can run), I vocalize the strike but with a point signal, not a fist, as the batter needs to be put out and fist signal would be inappropriate.

It's the same reason I don't say "take your base" on ball four or point. Everyone knows you get first on ball four.

The appropriate established mechanic for calling a runner out when he passes a lead runner is to point at him and call him out for passing.

As aevans410 said
Quote:
Lets look at the other side of the coin. 1-1 count, 1 out, runners on first and second. Batter swings at a ball in the dirt that gets by the catcher. R2 and R1 now move up and become R3 and R2. Counts now 1-2. He swings at another ball in the dirt. You now say "Strike 3, batters out" batter hearing this, he stops running, the catcher tags him easily. Now the O coach is climbing in your a$$ because your actions put his runner in jeopardy.
It's the players job to know the rules, it's my job to officiate them.

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee

"If a batter swings and misses the 3rd strike and it's caught by the catcher, do you not signal and vocalize the batter out?"

I signal the strike just as I did the first and second strike. If it is a called third it is more demonstartive but means the same thing.

No, I have never said, "Batter's Out"

Weak kneed analogy:

If I am a BU and the Batter-runner is out by ten feet I have never said, "He's Out!" or "Out" that is a given -- I simply signal the out.

I am not sure this fits with what we are talking about but IT IS another time that you do not verbalize the out.

The difference is, IMO, everyone in the world knows he is out by ten feet.

The same with a caught line drive and runner is going on the pitch, throw to the base, easy DP. No need to vocalize.

I see your point, but I feel it is different when so many things are happening in a split second. Batter swings misses, catcher drops the ball, runners take off, BR takes off, coaches are screaming, etc.

The batter is out, call him out!

Just to further try and prove a point, lol, when a runner passes another, do you not call that runner out and identify him?

Or, would you just signal an out and let the runners continue their escapade around the bases and have the defense figure out which one they need to tag?

Not to mention your partners confusion!

Is there no set mechanic for this situation?

[/QUOTE]
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates