View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 25, 2001, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Re: Smart Alec Reply

Quote:
Originally posted by JAdams
I'm sorry, fellow officials, but Mark's partner started this one with his smart*** reply of "try it and you'll find out." What would be wrong with a simple yes or no? The game of life (and basketball) is played by communicating, and Mark's partner certainly failed with his communciation skills. I'm betting that Mark's partner went into this game with a chip on his shoulder, and probably deserved all the crap he got from the players. Sure, the player in question was also wrong for his verbal tirade, but Mark's parter started it. I have found that if you treat players (even adult rec players) with respect, it goes a long way toward preventing problems. Treating them with respect (e.g. answering a simple question) is far different than knuckling under and being subservient to them.
Yes, all those things are true but at some point there has to be a line between officiating, coaching or giving a player an advantage. Yes, the question could be answered easily enough. But players should be expected to know certain things, even though this board is filled with items that prove that they don't.

Let's say a player receives a pass, fumbles it and bats the ball to the floor before controlling it. He turns to you and says "Can I still dribble?" I'm not going to answer him. Are you?

I don't know that there is a right or wrong way to handle this. I think each individual will handle it in the way they feel is best. But I'm not going to blast a guy in a third party story, who isn't hear to justify his actions.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith