View Single Post
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

The probability that I will say something to a batter is inversely proportional to his age.

That is, it depends on the level: I won't remind a "shaving-aged" batter that he's out, nor will I prevent such a catcher from making a pointless throw down to first. They need to know the rules.

You mention "preventive officiating," which is something I subscribe to for safety issues. I don't regard the batter taking off for first when he's not entitled to it as a saftey issue.

It might prevent an unpleasant visit from the O coach, if R1 gets picked off thinking he has to run, but then the coach should yell at R1. It might prevent an unpleasant visit from the D coach if his catcher throws the ball pointlessly into RF, but at that level chances are just as good that he'll yell at the catcher, not me.

But that's not what preventive officiating should be about. So what if they yell at me? *I* didn't screw up, so that conversation won't last long. Mistakes are part of the game, and it's not my job to prevent those, only to enforce the rules as tradition and local association dictate.