Thread: Two scenarios
View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 24, 2001, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Two questions posed to us by Bob Jenkins in his Officiating.com article "What I learned at Camp - Part I" are posted below. The answers he gives are False & True, respectively. I wanted to discuss these answers, and discuss what is the "correct" procedure for these calls, and "why." I obviously don't have my rulebook handy!

18) Team A is leading 55 to 54 with 3 seconds remaining in the game when A-1 fouls B-2. B-2 makes both free throws. Team A completes the throw-in and time expires before they can get off a shot. The officials are then notified that team B was erroneously awarded the one-and-one. The referee cancels the free throws by team B and declares team A the winner.

False. What should have happened? I would assume that this is a correctable error, but I'm not sure how it would be handled. Do you put the elapsed time back on the clock and give team B the ball? That'd be my guess, but assume you don't know how much time there was?

I'm glad to see someone reads the articles.

As I said (I hope) in the article, I got this question wrong.

The error is discovered during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started. Had this not been complicated by the end of the game, we'd take B's points off the board and resume play.

So, the only conclusion (other than the given answer is incorrect) is that you can't correct an error after the game is over. I can't find any support for this in the rule book (other than a hyper-technical reading of 2-10-4).

Now, what if B's free throws only tied the game? The game isn't "over" so we correct the error? Now, by taking B's points off the board, A wins, so the game is over, so we can't correct the error, so the game is tied, and not over, so we correct the error ...

22) Score is 55-52 in favor of Team B. A-1, while in the act of shooting a 3-point goal is fouled, and before she releases the ball, time expires to end the game. The shot goes in! The official disallows the basket and declares the game over after A-1 misses her first free throw.

True. I'd think that A-1 is an airborne shooter, and in that case the try doesn't end until the player isn't airborne anymore. However, regardless of the foul, I suppose the shooter still has the ball in her hands when the horn goes off, so the "shot" never really happened - so the ball was dead when the horn went off and before the shot was attempted; but, because of the foul, you shoot the shots.
Since the shot wasn't released before the horn, the shot doesn't count. The fact that A was fouled doesn't change this. 6-6-2

However, A was still fouled in the act of shooting, so she gets her three free throws, if they will affect the game. Once A misses the first, A can't tie or win, so the remaining throws aren't shot. 5-7-c1.

Thanks for the comments.