View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 24, 2005, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down You're right, I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Quote:
Originally posted by fwump
Let me clarify that I was spectator at this game. HS Varsity district game. Cross town rivalry. BIG GAME. R1 1 out. Ground ball to F4 who breaks in to field it. R1, F4 and ball meet in the baseline. F4 fields ball cleanly just as R2 crashes into him, or I should describe it as trying to vault over him. F4 tags R1, who is rolling over the top of him, and completes a decent throw to F3 too late to retire BR.

Both umpires are obviously veterans based on thier age and appearance and the fact that this is a 5A district game between two heated rivalries. Why no interference call? And why, when R1, who became livid after being called out by BU and threw his helmet across the infield, was he not ejected. Why was'nt the double play called subsequent to the interference. These are all calls that I have made myself. And I call almost exclusively youth baseball. HMMM.

My point is that there are LL umpires(to use the negative connatation often propagated on this and other sites) at all levels of baseball. Including BIG BOY baseball. Even the guys who get the big games.

The level of baseball doen'nt matter guys. Its how you call the game!

Mike

I know I'm going to get some flack over this but so be it...it's time something was said. Why has this forum turned into a fight between umpires who think they know everything? 75% of the threads on here are extremely useful to many of us in knowing how to interpret rules and situations. What is absolutely ridiculous is when people don't appreciate the way someone posted against their ruling or how they handled something and then starts personal attacks. THAT IS NOT WHAT THIS FORUM IS FOR. IF YOU CAN'T TAKE A LITTLE BIT OF CRITICISM, THEN DON'T POST ON HERE ANYMORE.

Take the above post as an example. Fwump, what makes you think that you have the right to criticize the umpires in the sitch that you described when you said it yourself that you "call almost exclusively youth baseball." Guess what, come July and August, that's what just about every umpire on this forum does, calls youth baseball. Instead, why not ask the experienced umps on here (i.e. JRut, Tee, Carl Childress, etc.) the possible reasons for the double play and ejections not occurring? Do you really feel that it was necessary to instead bash the "big ball" umpires who were on the field instead? Did you ever think that there are different rules governing FED ball and LL ball or PONY ball?

But then here I go doing the same thing that I am preaching to everyone else not to do so I'll just stop. I just hope that my point was made and we can get back to helping and teaching the younger and less experienced officials (like myself) the proper way to officiate a sporting event, rather than bashing everyone on here.