Thread: Play at plate
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Duke
tags the runner just as she is diving back into the plate.
I agree with you that you ultimately got it right. I think the others that said you blew it badly might not have read the full post.

I know there are purist that believe there is relationship between softball and baseball rules should not be discussed. I feel differently and think that there are opinions on this type of play in baseball that applies very well in softball. Those opinions are on "relaxed" and "unrelaxed" appeals.

In the case you discuss, the "missed base" was being appealled in an unrelaxed situation. In otherwords, she was diving back, there was still action and she was still being played on. In other words, you are right, the obstruction caused her to miss the base.

However, if the obstruction had caused her to miss the plate, and she had made no attempt to return, the defense could appeal she missed the plate and the runner would not have been protected by the obstruction.

I believe that most softball organization's rules support this, within the wording of their individual rule books.