Thread: Play at plate
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Well in the end we got the play right because after my partner and I talked we did award home. The runner did past the plate so I was thinking in terms of the player missing the plate and calling her out on the appeal. She missed the plate and went by it due to the obstruction/collision.

Interesting side note. I know how you guys "like" it when someone on here starts quoting baseball. The coach that was on defense during this play quoted baseball to me three times during the game. He was a longtime baseball coach and umpire. Once when he didn't report a sub coming to bat. I give him a team warning. He tells me in baseball he didn't even have to report players in. Of course the other coach wanted an out. During this collision he says he has ejected players in baseball for much less of a collision and once when the ball slipped from the pitchers hand during the delivery. He had a runner on and wanted her awarded 2nd base as the ball didn't cross the foul line. "That's the way it is in baseball." Finally had to politely tell him that the baseball game was on the other end of the field. This is a softball game.

[Edited by Duke on Apr 23rd, 2005 at 11:24 AM]