View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
as PU you are coming up the line and are probably near the 45. You have a good view of a tag. This is an appealable situation. Usually we vocalize this as it happens. BU will ask, "Did he get him on the tag?" PU will say "Yes he did", BU will ring him. This way BU does not make one call and then have to reverse it. This situation should be discussed in pregame, just like a pulled foot at first when BU is in C.
Hi Sc, In the past if I were the BU I have handled it as you describe. However, at a recent clinic that I attended it was suggested that rather then vocalizing get together privately to see if your partner has information that would cause you to change the call. The clincian's reasoning was perhaps your partner didn't see the play in which case what's he going to say? The clinician brought up a good point. Personally I had this situation happen to me as BU however, I saw that my partner (who I have worked many a game with) coming up the line had the perfect angle and I vocalized my request and then I made my call. In all honesty I should have got this by myself, but I misjudged the throw and I was slightly out of position. I had another situation with my partner in the A position with a grounder to 1B. He can't get get the handle on the ball eventually he does before BR touches first however, my partner couldn't see that this happened and calls the runner safe. Defensive Coach gets him to appeal to me I tell him what I saw and said to him "it's up to you to change the call I had him clearly out". He reverses his call and surprise surprise the Offensive Coach agrees that this was correct and we play on.