View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 10:19pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb NCAA note.

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
How about B1 is now out on strikes. B2 stays in the box and begins her at-bat with a new count.

No books handy for rule references, but I'm thinking a batting out of order application here. If an incorrect batter is discovered during her time at bat, the proper batter is brought to the plate and assumes the count.

B2 was out of order as B1's at bat was not finished. When strike three was called, B2 was discovered. B1 would be brought back and assume a count of x-3, resulting in a strike out.

As always, I'm open for other interpretations....
Andy,
NCAA 8-4 Note 1 seems to have addressed the problem and it feels good, too!

It starts: If the error is reported after the incorrect batter has completed her time at bat and before a legal or illegal pitch delivered ....[then a protest may be made for failure to bat in order]. Same rule so far.

Now stay with me, here...

In the original sitch, a pitch was delivered to B2, so "failing to bat in order" has become moot for B1.

Then, in the NCAA book, there appears this
  • Note: 1. Players who have not batted and who have not been called out have lost their turn at bat until reached again in the regular order.

Using the original sitch and this interpretation, B1 (with two strikes) would merely be a footnote in the scorebook. [Neither out, nor batting] B2 has one strike and the game proceeds.

That can work for me.

mick