View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
I think technically by the book, you have nothing, B2 is out, Bring B3 to the plate. Then if defense challenges for BOO, B1 is out for not batting in order - B2 STILL out for striking out.
NFHS rules.

The NFHS rule book is at bit vague on this point. Here is the NFHS wording:
Quote:
The umpire shall declare the batter who should have batted out (not the improper batter). Any other outs on the play stand....
It is interesting to compare this with the 2003 wording:
Quote:
Any outs on the play stand. The umpire shall declare the batter who should have batted out....
I don't have any comments that may have accompanied this change, but I would assume the reason for the change was to NOT have any out made on the improper batter to stand.

OTOH, as WMB pointed out previously, the NFHS Umpire Exam had a question on BOO where the "correct" answer (according to the answer key) was that the out on the improper batter DID stand.

Nonetheless, I believe the proper ruling for NFHS is B2 out on strike three, unless appealed, in which case it is B1 out for not batting in order (actually not completing her time at bat in order), and B2 up to bat.

So basically the defense has the choice of whether they want to skip B2 (don't appeal) or pitch to B2 (appeal).