View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

I worked a little four team High School tournament this last weekend (NFHS). I probably called 8 obstruction calls during pick-off attempts in one game.

The catchers were both very capable of throwing down to 1st and 3rd. Even a couple of throws to 2nd. Also back to the pitcher and then to 2nd for a pick-off.

The basemen were not so adept a placing tags. The basemen would continually block the base - legs, feet, occasionally sitting with a leg underneath them, in front of the base.

The runners were also not so good at sliding back into the base - they wanted to walk or tip-toe back into the base, stepping around and over legs. Combine that with the poor defensive techniques and you get tags placed at the waistline or higher and little discernable movement from the returning base-runner.

The fans were going nuts as I called "That's obstruction. The runner is safe." The players just didn't get it. I would even explain it to them. That they must have the ball before they could block the basepath. It felt like repeat ad infinitum.

Some old geezer came up to me after the game and felt obligated to tell me I had missed about 12 calls that last game. Yeah, Buddy I don't recall seeing you at the last rules clinic. Maybe I'll see you at the next one. Probably not.

He seemed a little more understanding when I explained the rule change but not completely satisfied. It was just too different from what they had seen for the last 20 years. I was obviously a rookie and wrong.

Partner did a great job of defending my calls. Next two games he was in the field with me behind the dish. He made the exact same calls ... I seemed to catch all the flack.

Oh well, a couple more weeks and maybe everyone will figure it out.