View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 11:06pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

At our game today, had a couple of rough moments from the BU that made me wonder.

Situation 1:

R2 & R3, 1 out. Batter hits a ball to F6. R2 runs in front of F6 but jumps over the ball. R3 scores and BR reaches first safely. After play completes, he confurs with PU and rules R2 out for interference (good call IMO) and runner on 3rd scores. After the half inning ends some spectator gets on him that the runner form 3rd should not have scored. He confers with BU again and tellsus that since he said R3 scored, he couldn't undo it. Just thought it was odd, he'd engage with a fan in a rule discussion

And for whatever it's worth, I think INT should have been called immediately with R2 out and R3 staying on 3rd.

Situation 2:

While on defense, a batter hit a popup down the first base line. It drops in the infield fair and then goes into foul territory. BU calls "Foul!" and everyone stops. PU ends up giving BR first base. Can the PU do this in this situation? I've seen umpires here say once you call a ball foul, you can't undo it and similary "you can't unring a rung bell".

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball