View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 17, 2001, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Jeff, let me disagree for a moment. Here's the scenario. You have a foul on one end that you don't call because the shot went in. Later, you have a foul on the other end (different players) and the shot doesn't go in and you call it.

That coach yells at you to "call it both ways". We all know you should ignore him, but in this case, he has a point.

Frankly, what's the reasoning here? An off the ball foul is a foul only if the shot taken at that time goes in?

I think that's a real hard sell. Me - I call the fouls I see.
I used to call this foul for the exact reasons you gave until one day my mentor saw me make the call in a boys varsity game. He raked me over the coals! He said that foul had absolutely nothing to do with the play and all I did was interrupt the flow of a great game. He said the boys were big and contact is expected. I asked for a rebuttal to a disagreeing coach. He said let the coach know you had a good look at the play, you saw the contact, and decided there was no advantage. He also reminded me most good coaches wouldn't object to the no-call as long as you are consistent with it.