View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I had a similar play happen to me

R1 on 2B, R2 on 1B. A pop fly hit to shallow center. The center fielder was playing shallow so the runners were holding because it looked like the ball was going to be caught. The center fielder dropped the ball. The runners advance. I'm PU, by the way. I run up to get in position to make the call. I'm right down third base line about 5 feet from the bag. I know, I should have been more inside the diamond but I wasnt. The throw pulls F5 off of the bag, he swipes at R1 as R1 rounds 3B. R1 is off of the bag and lunges back to the bag. F5 attempts a tag. It was at this point that F1, who had come over to back up the throw to 3b steps in my line of sight. I didn't see a tag on the second attempt. It all happened so fast, I had no time to adjust my angle. I did what I was trained to do. If you don't see an out, don't guess them out. So I called him safe. The defense appealed. Fortunately for me, my partner was experienced (more so than I) and had the angle. He saw the tag and I reversed my ruling.

In the situation you mentioned I would have done the same. It's your call to make and you didn't see an out, so you have to call them safe. Then when the defense appeals, if they appeal, you go to your partner. If he didn't see it, stick with your call. If he did, and the runner was out, then reverse it. It the defense doesn't appeal, that's their fault. You call what you see and you didn't see an out. So they were safe.