View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachBlue
I was calling a 12U rec. game last night. Had a runner on 1st. The ball was hit torward the 2nd baseman. The 1st baseman came over and got the ball and rushed over and dove glove first torward 1st base. The play was going to very close. At the exact moment everything came together for some unknown reason the 2nd baseman stepped directly between me and the play. I could't see the play so I called "SAFE". My thinking was I didn't see the out made so I couldn't call an out. I can't call what I didn't see. Of course I didn't really see the "Safe" either.

Did I make the right call?
Depends on whether you were confident your partner could have helped. After all, he had a runner to worry about at the other side of the diamond. If you felt s/he was in no position to make the call, yes.

Quote:

If so, and the defensive coach had ask me to ask for help, should I ask for help? This is really not an Appeal type play or is it?
Yes. At least get together and see what your partner may have to offer. If you believe it is enough to change your call, do it.

Quote:

Of course if I do ask for help and the batter runner was clearly out and we change the call the Offensive coach is going to go into orbit.
Just as long as s/he files a flight plan!

You make an effort to get the call correct. If it were reversed, s/he'd be thanking you.