Official Forum Member

Situation 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
Bob, don't strain anything.

AZ,
So in Sit A, BU will have to take R1 into third AND BR rounding first assuming we have a no catch. I have always lined up ball, but made decision of catch/no catch fair/foul from a point near enough to the plate as to where I could still take R1 into third.

Sit B I have dealt with the way you describe, but the NFHS manual wants PU to take play at third.

Sit C I see the same as you. I was taught to "stay home" in this situation. NFHS however wants PU to watch touch at home, but move to cover third.
As soon as the FED books arrive, I throw the umpire manual in the trash.

(0) The BU is supposed to take the BR into third on a bases-empty triple, despite what that idiotic book says. One umpire, one runner, one call.

(1) If the PU is on the line, he announces it and the BU has R1 into third.

(2) The BU has the catch, tag, and the play at third. Only exception we usually pregame is if the ball is right down the left field line it makes no sense for the plate umpire to come almost to third to rule on the batted ball and not take the play.

(3) First, the FED notation for runners is idiotic. R1 always starts from first base, R2 from 2nd base, R3 from third base -- so you can just say you have R1 and R2 and less than 2 outs. The plate umpire stays home on a base hit. The only time a plate umpire covers third on a clean hit is with R1 only OR with R1+R3 in which case the PU watches the touch of the plate over his shoulder while sliding up the line in case there's a play at third.
We always let the PU take the play at third. It makes it a lot easier for our umpires to remember.

We just like to be consistent. Runner on 2nd, PU takes the play at third.

Plus it gives the PU something to do. (grin)

the only exception would be when the ball is right down the line in RF and PU has to stay for the catch and the foul/fair.

Thanks
David