View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Good 'ol 10-6-C (and it's counterparts in NCAA, FED et.al) is about all I can find which may deal with this specifically. I would consider placing the runner back on 1B after a pitch anyway, but after a hit, or ball in play it no longer is a "correctable situation"

8-5-G-4, BOO rules and others all give the "after the next pitch" phrase so if defense (or umpires) don't catch this it would seem to be mute after a pitch has been thrown.
The problem with applying ASA 10-6-C (Fed 10-2-3-m) is there was no delayed or reversed call by the umpire. Technically, a player advanced one base during a dead ball and no one noticed.

While not entirely serious about LBR, I do wonder - it is a rule that could be applied at the time of the pitch, or shortly thereafter, thereby neatly avoiding the "pitch has been thrown" issue.

The fact is that the player advanced during the dead ball and is standing on a base to which the runner is not entitled.

Technically, this is not a violation of the LBR (LBR does not use the word "entitled"), but the rule immediately before that (in ASA 8-7-S, commonly called "leaving early") - but the rule actually says nothing about "leaving".
Quote:
THE RUNNER IS OUT When the runner fails to keep contact with the base to which the runner is entitled until the ball leaves the pitcher's hand.
Why could not this rule be used in #1 and #2?