View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aevans410
Mike, first off I agree totally with you. Lets say you were the BU and someone did that to you. You know the PU doesn't have the guts to tell the coach that he has the call and puts you as the BU on the spot. How do you as BU react? Would you proactively "nip it in the bud" by telling the coach that if the PU needs help, the PU will come to you? Would you "help" the PU out and have a conversation with him after the game? Would you let it slide totally?

The reason I ask this is because it HAS happened to me. Every time it has, I told the coach that I didn't see anything different than what the PU saw (which was the truth). I'd like to see how some of the vets handle getting a call dumped into your lap.
As a plate umpire working the slot, I note that the mechanics sometimes cause you to momentarily lose the ball on the high tight pitch. If a coach asks me if I will ask my partner if he, by chance, saw something I may have missed, it is my job to ask, not to state it is my call.

As a base umpire, if the plate umpire asks, I answer with what I saw, or didn't. No "mirror" calls; answer the question asked to try to get the call right. If the coach asks me, I advise the coach he must talk to the umpire who made the call.