View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I feel your pain. I did some 8th grade boys games on Saturday. It was a tournament and there were teams there from all over northern Utah and even one from Wyoming. The Wyoming team and a local team are playing and the local team is just taking the visitors to school, especially in the second half. They probably forced 30 turnovers that half. It was ugly. Anywayz, what really struck my partner and I is how completely ignorant (not to be confused with ignernt which is a Utahism meaning rude, which they were) the Wyoming players, coaches and fans were. They were screaming about carrying on plays that weren't even close. They were livid about all the "fouls" we weren't calling in their favor -- including "reaching in" when there was nothing even close to contact. My favorite was when the local team had a throw-in on their baseline and threw it into backcourt and then retrieved it. The coach was literally kicking the bench and swearing at my partner because we didn't call backcourt. It was unreal how completely clueless these folks were about the rules of the game. And, of course, it was our fault!
Hopefully you gave coach a Golden Technical as a souvenir that they could take back home.
Wouldn't you love to hear their explaination of the poor officiating they had? I'll bet their story is so exaggerated by now that it's no way near reality.
Unfortunately I didn't see or hear the coach's reaction. I was too busy trying to decide what the appropriate response to his kids' outburst was. I chose to go the education route with them. Hopefully on the ride home when they some of the parents or coaches brought up the subject of "that horrible missed backcourt" one of the kids will chime in with "the ref said you can't have a backcourt on a throw-in." If that doesn't make them feel like idiots, there's probably no hope for them

My partner told me about it after the game. He shoulda taken care of business. I'd already whacked the assistant once.