Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Davism: "Why do you want my name - don't you have one of your own?"
hahaha.

I've never given my name out before, I have tempted several times to give name of the guy who assigns the game... lol
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Davism: "Why do you want my name - don't you have one of your own?"
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

I worked with one of our rec ball assignors one day. This knucklehead Dad who kept begging and whining for calls all game approached him afterwards and my partner asked the Dad if he really really believed what he was saying? The Dad said yes and started to tell him why. My partner cut him off and told him: "that explains why your Son plays like that", and walked away. After I picked up my jaw, I wet my pants laughing so hard.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
The team I seen before lost by about 20 points. After the game while I'm signing the sheet I've got some psycho mother screaming at me for my name so she can complain, because apparently every time I've done this team they've lost and it's my fault. I tell her nicely that I don't give my name out to fans, and she's screaming at me,
Ref18, I always give my name, and my assignor's name and number, all written on a little piece of paper.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Ref18, I always give my name, and my assignor's name and number, all written on a little piece of paper.
I'm not sure this is a good idea, at least not the part about giving your own name. But if it works for you, that's cool.

I joked about this topic in another thread, but in all seriousness, the few times I've had parents chase me after the game I've always:

1) Immediately made it VERY clear in a quiet, calm tone that I would not engage in any conversation, because nothing good can come of it - and then walked away. Not once has it failed to work (maybe I've just been lucky ).

2) Refused to give my name (if asked) and told the person that if they had a beef - to talk to their coach and he/she would know what to do.

3) Notified my assignor, or whoever is responsible for these types of situations, about the incident, if it was serious enough (which was only once).

Assignors are paid to handle disputes and complaints, and to deal with stupid coaches and other people. I am not.

You should have calmly given this lady the stop sign IMMEDIATELY and kept walking. There is a small amount of post-game BS from coaches and other personnel that goes with the territory. That IN NO WAY extends to nutbag parents or fans.

Just my $0.02

P.S. Each time I checked with my assignor to see if anyone had called - not even once did someone follow through.

Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

I feel your pain. I did some 8th grade boys games on Saturday. It was a tournament and there were teams there from all over northern Utah and even one from Wyoming. The Wyoming team and a local team are playing and the local team is just taking the visitors to school, especially in the second half. They probably forced 30 turnovers that half. It was ugly. Anywayz, what really struck my partner and I is how completely ignorant (not to be confused with ignernt which is a Utahism meaning rude, which they were) the Wyoming players, coaches and fans were. They were screaming about carrying on plays that weren't even close. They were livid about all the "fouls" we weren't calling in their favor -- including "reaching in" when there was nothing even close to contact. My favorite was when the local team had a throw-in on their baseline and threw it into backcourt and then retrieved it. The coach was literally kicking the bench and swearing at my partner because we didn't call backcourt. It was unreal how completely clueless these folks were about the rules of the game. And, of course, it was our fault!
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
1. Sign the scorebook BEFORE the game.

2. When someone asks your name do what I do:

"Ma'am my name is Chuck Elias...E.L.I.A.S."

(seriously, make something up, do not argue with these idiots. Ted Valentine, Bob Knight, Bill Ding, whatever.)
I tell them my name is Richard Cranium(sp?), but I have a nickname.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I feel your pain. I did some 8th grade boys games on Saturday. It was a tournament and there were teams there from all over northern Utah and even one from Wyoming. The Wyoming team and a local team are playing and the local team is just taking the visitors to school, especially in the second half. They probably forced 30 turnovers that half. It was ugly. Anywayz, what really struck my partner and I is how completely ignorant (not to be confused with ignernt which is a Utahism meaning rude, which they were) the Wyoming players, coaches and fans were. They were screaming about carrying on plays that weren't even close. They were livid about all the "fouls" we weren't calling in their favor -- including "reaching in" when there was nothing even close to contact. My favorite was when the local team had a throw-in on their baseline and threw it into backcourt and then retrieved it. The coach was literally kicking the bench and swearing at my partner because we didn't call backcourt. It was unreal how completely clueless these folks were about the rules of the game. And, of course, it was our fault!
Hopefully you gave coach a Golden Technical as a souvenir that they could take back home.
Wouldn't you love to hear their explaination of the poor officiating they had? I'll bet their story is so exaggerated by now that it's no way near reality.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
1. Sign the scorebook BEFORE the game.

2. When someone asks your name do what I do:

"Ma'am my name is Chuck Elias...E.L.I.A.S."

(seriously, make something up, do not argue with these idiots. Ted Valentine, Bob Knight, Bill Ding, whatever.)
I tell them my name is Richard Cranium(sp?), but I have a nickname.
I prefer the name Mike Hatt. Say that three times quickly then think how stupid they'll sound blaming their team's loss on "my cat"
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Hopefully you gave coach a Golden Technical as a souvenir that they could take back home.
Wouldn't you love to hear their explaination of the poor officiating they had? I'll bet their story is so exaggerated by now that it's no way near reality.
Unfortunately I didn't see or hear the coach's reaction. I was too busy trying to decide what the appropriate response to his kids' outburst was. I chose to go the education route with them. Hopefully on the ride home when they some of the parents or coaches brought up the subject of "that horrible missed backcourt" one of the kids will chime in with "the ref said you can't have a backcourt on a throw-in." If that doesn't make them feel like idiots, there's probably no hope for them

My partner told me about it after the game. He shoulda taken care of business. I'd already whacked the assistant once.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Watch what you say because you're probably being taped.

Wow, come to think of it, you must have really showed alot of favoritism to cause them to lose by 20. LOL
Appearantly it was my fault because the foul count was 25-7.
You know what, I think I'm the only person who thinks that you can have a fairly called game with an uneven foul count.

My reply to this parent/fan:

Sounds like the game I watched the other night. You know that one game on Monday, I think it was a big game. OH YEA, the NCAA championship game! The foul count there was skewed badly, but that was because one team played nearly the entire game from outside the 3 pt line, while the WINNING team dominated inside where more fouls tend to get called.

You get the point.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls
Quote:
Quote:
Watch what you say because you're probably being taped.

Wow, come to think of it, you must have really showed alot of favoritism to cause them to lose by 20. LOL
Appearantly it was my fault because the foul count was 25-7.
You know what, I think I'm the only person who thinks that you can have a fairly called game with an uneven foul count.

My reply to this parent/fan:

Sounds like the game I watched the other night. You know that one game on Monday, I think it was a big game. OH YEA, the NCAA championship game! The foul count there was skewed badly, but that was because one team played nearly the entire game from outside the 3 pt line, while the WINNING team dominated inside where more fouls tend to get called.

You get the point.
That's alot to say in 1 breath because you know as soon as you stop talking to breath that they'll cut in with more blah blah blah.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

You could say your name was Ched...
Ched DarCheese

I had a game once where the foul count was skewed. The team with more fouls was winning by a lot. Then their coach at half-time told them to stop fouling. As a result, they stopped fouling, but they also went on to lose the game.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I would have threatened her with assault. She cannot follow you all the way back to your locker room and harass you like that. I would have asked for her name and if she did not leave, call the police.

Peace
My wife is a middle school principal. She has had idiot parents swearing at her in her office. After consulting with the school attorney and the local police officer, she now files disorderly conduct charges against the culprits. No one should have to put up with that behavior.

I would have told the woman to give me her name so I could report her for harassment or disorderly conduct, etc. I never give out my name. Let them do the research.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
My wife is a middle school principal.
Wow, you're married to a super-hero? Cool!